We eat a lot of bananas. Between cereal and smoothies our basket is always full of the yellow maidens. In a mad rush to use up some tired looking bananas I came across a recipe for chocolate and peanut butter banana bread. High in protein, contains chocolate, is very satisfying and severely simple. A deadly combination of good. I made a few alterations and this was the result.
Ingredients 1 1/2 cups flour 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt 3 ripe bananas (the riper the sweeter) 3/4 cup sugar 3/4 cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy is good) 1/2 cup hazelnut oil is best but canola oil will work too
1/4 soy milk
2 tsp vanilla 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips or 350g chocolate smashed up
Cooking spray or vegan butter
Preheat oven to 180˚C / 350oF Time: 15 mins + baking time Serves 8
1. In one bowl mix flour, baking soda baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
2. In another mix the mashed bananas, sugar, peanut butter, oil, soy milk and vanilla.
3. Add the dry to the wet ingredients in sections mixing as you go. The mixture will be thicker than a cookie dough but you should still be able to mix it. You can add a little soy milk (by the tsp) if it appears too dry, this is usually because of the type of peanut butter used.
4. Once mixed, stir in the chocolate buttons or bits.
5. Pour batter into a greased bread pan and pop into the oven.
6. Cook for 55-65 minutes or until a knife comes out clean once inserted.
Let it stand for 15-20 min before cutting. Serve warmmmmm