This has become my new favorite vegan tomato soup. Not only is this little treasure super easy to create but it contains tons of the antioxidant lycopene, which protects your skin from sun damage, especially important during these long summer days. It’s also easily adapted to your taste.
The recipe evolved when we accidentally doubled up on fresh tomatoes and had no space left in the fridge. What a great problem to have. For the rest of the week, every guest was invited to a bowl of delicate tomato soup and focaccia bread.
Roasted Tomato Soup on the Stove
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 30 min
Serving Size: 503g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat: 66% Daily Value *
Total Fat: 7g, 12%
Saturated Fat: 1g,5%
Trans Fat: 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Sodium: 528mg, 22%
Total Carbohydrates: 21g, 7%
Dietary Fiber: 5g, 20%
Vitamin A: 58%
Vitamin C: 82%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 6-8 large ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 2 yellow onions, quartered
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups of good quality vegetable stock
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F).
- Spread the chopped tomatoes, onions and whole garlic cloves on an oven safe dish and drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast in the oven for 45-55 mins until the tops of the vegetables begin to darken and sizzle.
- Once cooked, add the roasted vegetables to a large pot with two cups of vegetable stock and the bay leaves. Bring to the boil then remove from the heat allowing the flavours to combine for a further 25-30 mins.
- Remove the bay leaves and blend the soup to form a rich red. You may need to do this in two batches as you should end up with 3 litres of soup or more.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh basil or parsley.
Experiment: Add 1 can (435ml) of coconut milk before you serve to make this roasted tomato soup creamy. Or add 1/4 tsp of cardamon with the bay leaves to create a punchier heat.
beta calories: 153
When having Tomato Soup, I like to serve mine with cheesy focaccia bread coated in a generous layer of vegan butter. It makes the perfect dipping companion for a bold soup like this one.