Beetroot has also been linked with keeping blood pressure low.
A UK study found that nitrate (found in beetroot) lowers blood pressure and may help fight heart disease. Beetroot is considered a super food, containing potassium, magnesium, iron, vitamins A, B6 and C, folic acid, protein, antioxidants and soluble fibre.
It’s also very tasty, offering a sweet, earthy and tender taste experience.
While there are many nutritional benefits to be enjoyed from beet chips, I want to talk about how easy it is to cook them. All you need is a skillet and the following ingredients:
- 1 beetroot, washed and peeled
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees
2. Slice beetroot into rounds, thinly if you like crispy chips
3. Drizzle olive oil in an ovenproof baking pan
4. Add beetroot to pan and toss in oil by shaking pan or turning over with a wooden spoon or spatula
5. Spread beetroot in a single layer in pan
6. Shake in salt and black pepper
7. Add turmeric and toss beetroot until coated evenly
8. Bake in oven for 20 minutes until crispy around the edges. Cooking time may be shorter depending on how thinly the rounds are sliced.
Serve as a side with your favorite vegan burger.