If you are looking for a new recipe to try, why not give potato salad a go? It is the perfect companion to a summer barbecue, a family dinner, or takeaway lunch.
But it usually uses dairy products. Not cool.
No worries, use this recipe for vegan potato salad and make an even yummier version.
It can be served as a side or main dish and it is delicious and versatile.
- 500g potatoes
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 20g fresh chives
- 4tbsp. vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp. vegan cream cheese
- salt and paper to taste
- other herbs if you fancy – fresh basil, coriander, spring onion, dill, etc.
It’s universally regarded as a classic
If making your own dressing, instead of using store-bought mayonnaise and cream cheese alternatives, you will need the following:
- 5 tbsp. aquafaba (water you drain from a can of chickpeas)
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 11/2 cup (approx. 375ml) oil
- Chopping board and knife
- Vegetable peeler (optional)
- Medium sized oven tray
- Large salad bowl
- Small bowl
- Hand blender(if making your own dressing)
1.Decide if you want your potatoes to be peeled or not. If using new potatoes, or going for a more rustic look, feel free to leave the skin on.
2. Using a knife and chopping board, cut the potatoes into half-inch chunks.
When preparing new potatoes, it’s usually enough to cut them in half. Slightly larger ones can be cut into quarters, and anything bigger can be chopped into chunky cubes.
3. Place the potatoes in a large bowl, mix in the olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Spread the potatoes in a single layer on an oven tray and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
The smaller the pieces, the quicker it will cook, so if you’re in a rush, chop your potatoes into smaller chunks.
5. While you wait for potatoes to get ready, finely chop your red onion and set it aside.
6. If you’re not using homemade alternatives, mix the vegan mayonnaise and cream cheese together in a small bowl with a fork. Now add your lemon juice.
To make a thinner consistency, add a little bit of water. If you are making your own dressing, continue reading the steps at the bottom of this page.
6. Finely chop the chives, any other herbs you wish to use, and stir them into your creamy sauce.
7. When your potatoes are cooked to perfection (easily pierced with a fork), take them out of the oven and leave them to cool for 10 minutes.
8. Mix your potatoes and onions, both chopped, together in a large bowl.
8. Finally, thoroughly stir the dressing into the potatoes, onions, and cranberries and refrigerate for at least an hour.
When ready, serve as a side for such dishes as tomato soup, vegan burgers, or grilled vegetable kebabs.