Potato salad is a versatile dish because it can be part of a summer barbecue, family dinner, or takeaway lunch.
But it usually uses dairy when it could easily use something else.
Don’t worry, use this recipe to make a delicious vegan potato salad!
It is delicious on its own or with other dishes. It makes an excellent main course.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25-35 mins
Chilling time: 1 hour (minimum)
- 500g potatoes
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 20g fresh chives
- 4 tbsp vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- other herbs if you fancy -fresh basil,coriander,spring onion,dill,etc
This recipe is for the real thing, old skool style! If you want to make it with healthier oils, substitute in either light olive oil or macadamia oil mayonnaise and add some more of your coconut milk cream.
- 5 tbsp aquafaba (water you drain from a can of chickpeas)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup (approx.375ml)oil
- chopping board and knife
- vegetable peeler (optional)
- medium sized oven tray
- large salad bowl
- small bowl
- hand blender (if making your own dressing)
- First, decide if you want your potatoes peeled. If using new potatoes, or going for a more rustic look, feel free to leave the skin on. Cut the potatoes into ¼-inch cubes with a sharp knife and toss them into a large bowl.
2. Cut the potatoes with a chopping board and knife
If using new potatoes, cutting them in half is usually enough; slightly larger ones can be cut into quarters.
3. Place your potatoes in the large bowl, season with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
4. Spread your potatoes on an oven tray and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes,or until you see a crisp golden color.
If you’re in a rush, simply chop your potatoes into smaller pieces.
5. While your potatoes get started on their long journey to golden perfection, finely chop up your red onion for when the time comes.
6. If you’re using store-bought alternatives, mix the vegan mayo and cream cheese together in a small bowl with a fork. Now add your lemon juice.
Toss your salad with a little bit of our Roasted Shallot Olive Oil, then add some of our Aged Balsamic Vinegar and enjoy!
6. Finely chop the chives and other herbs before stirring them into the sauce.
7. The potatoes are baked to perfection, easily pierced with a fork. Once you take them out of the oven and leave them to cool for around 10 minutes, You’re ready to serve.
8. Mix your onions and cut potatoes together in a large bowl.
8. You want to thoroughly mix the dressing in with the potatoes and onions and then place it into the refrigerator. Let it go at least an hour before serving.
Serve this tangy grain salad with tomato soup, a veggie burger, or grilled vegetable kebabs for your next get-together.