As Christmas draws near, a festive recipe is in order, and nothing says cold evenings, crispy snow underfoot, and a tipple by the fire like a slice of pumpkin pie.
This dessert will take you less than an hour to make, so you won’t spend all evening in the kitchen and miss out on great Xmas shows.
- 1 1/4 cups cashews
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 oz/425 gr) 100% pure pumpkin
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground gloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- 1 unbaked 9 inch shortcrust pastry
- Add cashews, water, and salt to a large bowl or Tupperware container. Cover the bowl and refrigerate it overnight for 12 to 18 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 200C
3. Drain the cashews and pour them into a blender. Add pumpkin, maple syrup, spices, and almond milk to the blender and blend until creamy.
4. Place the shortcrust pastry in a 9-inch glass pie dish.
5. Pour pumpkin mixture into pie shell. Smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
6. Place strips of aluminum foil over the pie crust edges and bake for 20 minutes at a temperature of 200 C. Then reduce the temperature to 150 C for another 45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove foil from the edges and bake for another 5 minutes.
7. Cool pie for 30 minutes. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.